Download MP3 | Download Show Notes PDF
Gaudencia Magessa founded Posh Events Planners in 2012 while she was the Conference and Banqueting Manager at a luxury hotel in Arusha, Tanzania. Constantly frustrated by the limited supply of creative ideas, suitable décor and event decorations for the high end hotel events she planned, Gaudencia followed her entrepreneurial instinct to fill a market gap. Starting out part-time with ambition and just 100 chairs and 20 tables obtained on credit from a friend, today Gaudencia is fully employed by her company, which is among the leading event planning companies in Arusha, Tanzania. Posh Events services include planning for corporate events and weddings as well as the provision of
event décor and decorations. The company has the internal capacity to host as many as 2,000 people at a single event.
With plenty of referrals from Gaudencia’s former employer, the Posh Events client base is dominated by corporate clients. The company also caters to the event planning needs of private clients based both within and outside Tanzania. Posh Events employs five full time staff and as many temporary staff as are required to successfully deliver any given event.
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- How Gaudencia’s job pointed her to a business opportunity that uses her natural talent, professional training and networks.
- Running a business while keeping your full-time job.
- Her journey from hosting events for 100 people to her current capacity: 2,000 people.
- The importance of taking a professional approach to one’s business from the start.
- The value of knowing your customer and staying focused on meeting their needs.
- How Gaudencia secured a business loan from a commercial bank.
- Gaudencia’s customer base within and outside Tanzania.
- Her dream to create a strong business that she can pass on to her children.
- Lessons learned: Bank your earnings, pay yourself a salary and be a disciplined, committed, focused professional.
- Gaudencia’s words of inspiration: “Dream big! Yes you can!”
We would love to hear from you:
Hongera Gaudencia! Inspiring & keep it up!
Thanks Dorothy for bringing this great stories out here..
Isn’t she amazing?!
Very Impressive and Inspiring! Great Job
Cheers Patience! Glad you enjoyed it!